NATA Houston Formation Clinic – 2023
March 2 - March 5
Arrival day is Thursday March 2nd, with check-in starting at 3pm. Pizza dinner provided at 5pm, followed by ground school at 6pm (required for all beginning formation pilots). Ground school emphasis will be Lead Training for those interested. All interested parties are welcome to attend the ground school.
Beginning Friday, a mandatory Safety Briefing will take place at 0800 each day of the event in the classroom of the HJC.
All NATA Formation members are welcome. Training will be available in T-6/SNJ/Harvards, as well as other types (e.g., Navions, T-28s, T-34s) if there are sufficient aircraft in attendance and back seaters available. Please contact the clinic Lead if you are interested in attending with another aircraft type.
Trainees must review our Formation Training Program before attending this clinic, paying particular attention to their specific aircraft requirements and the associated aircraft “Type Supplement” (formerly “Appendix D”). At a minimum, the following documents must be reviewed (studied) prior to arrival: FKG 2.0 and applicable Type Supplements, T-6 Formation Ground School video (Sep 2014), and FAST airshow and operations (Feb 2021), Flight Leader ground school NOTAM (Formation NOTAMs page). All are available on the NATA Formation Documents page.
Formal clinic training will take place on Thursday March 2nd for those who are ready, and on a personnel available basis. March 3rd, 4th, and morning of 5th will serve as primary training days. March 5th is also the departure day.
NATA will comply with any local, state or federal restrictions related to COVID-19, and may be forced to cancel this event at short notice. In that case, a cancellation fee would not apply; instead, all fees collected would become credits on member accounts. Participants are aware of the risks of COVID-19 infection due to exposure to other people, whether symptomatic or not, and whether direct or indirect. More information is available on the CDC website: www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov. The Hold Harmless agreement that all NATA clinic participants must sign includes acknowledgment and acceptance of these risks.
Please review ALL of the registration steps below before proceeding:
- REGISTER ONLINE. Begin by clicking on the Register Now button, supply the requested information, and pay the registration fee. Late registrants will receive their T-shirt and name patch after the clinic. (You must be logged in to see the button. If you are not a Formation member, you will receive an error message. You may upgrade your membership by visiting your profile, clicking the renew early link, and switching to Formation. The non-PIC member registration option may ONLY be used by members who will not be piloting aircraft at the clinic.)
- TRAINING? To be added to the list of trainees at the clinic (Wingman or Lead qualification), check the “Formation training” box during registration. Please do not check the box if you are participating for proficiency flying or as an IP/CP. If enough first-timers register, a training ground school may be arranged on arrival day (late afternoon).
- INSURANCE. NEW: Upload a Certificate of Insurance that meets NATA’s Clinic Insurance Requirements by visiting My Formation Documents on the Formation+ menu, or click this link. (A previously uploaded COI that has not expired will generally suffice for subsequent NATA clinics; you may confirm uploaded COI status by viewing your personal Formation Documents.)
- AIRCRAFT READINESS. Pilots seeking training must comply with the requirements in paragraph 5 of the Training Program.
- ALLOW TEXT MESSAGES. Clinic organizers may use text messages to relay information to participants during the clinic (e.g., weather-related updates). Please allow NATA to send you text messages by visiting the Contact Information tab in your profile, and checking the box under your mobile number in Other Contacts, towards the bottom of the screen. Review your personal Contact Information here.
- MEALS. Breakfast will be offered at the hotel; coffee and snacks will be provided at the hangar. Lunches will be provided by NATA on the clinic training days, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday at HJC. On Thursday evening, pizza and drinks will be provided for the meet and greet meal at 5pm, prior to the ground school. Friday dinner reservations at a local restaurant will be taken, and registrants will be responsible for picking up their own tabs. Saturday dinner will be catered at the HJC, and may be pre-paid during registration. Additional restaurant information available here.
- HOTEL. Marriott Courtyard, 25402 Katy Mills Pkwy, Katy, TX 77494, (281) 665-3189 (~12-minute drive from airport). HJC will make reservations using their discount ($99/night for either K or 2Q) — contact Ysabella Tetley from HJC at 832-574-4371, e-mail: email@example.com, or the HJC front desk 281-945-5000, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. Additional hotel and ground transportation information available here.
- RENTAL CARS. Only Enterprise rental cars are available, and supplies are limited. Reserve early! They will deliver and pick up. HJC will make reservations if you request it — contact Ysabella Tetley from HJC at 832-574-4371, e-mail: email@example.com, or the HJC front desk 281-945-5000, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you contact Enterprise directly, mention NATA event and specify delivery requirement.
- FUEL & OIL. Fuel from the truck at self-serve rate (currently $6.50/gal, but will be among most reasonable in Houston area). HJC does NOT normally stock radial engine oil. If you have special needs for engine oil, let us know or bring your own. Contact the HJC team to pre-register, or upon arrival: Ysabella Tetley from HJC at 832-574-4371 / email@example.com, or HJC front desk 281-945-5000 / firstname.lastname@example.org.
- HANGARS & OTHER. Parking on ramp in front of HJC’s main hangar. No tie downs on main ramp area, so chocks will be utilized. Limited grass parking is available, if needed. Bring your own chocks and tie downs. Limited hangar space available, depending on HRC operations. HRC contact information — Ysabella Tetley at 832-574-4371, e-mail: email@example.com, and front desk 281-945-5000, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1900 Cardiff Road
Brookshire, TX 77423
(281) 482-1326 (p)
(571) 259-2157 (c)
Admin and Hospitality
(574) 320-2526 (c)
If you cancel after February 1, 2023, a $50 cancelation fee (plus postage and any fees for extra T-shirts/patches) will be applied, and your items will be mailed to you.